Wednesday 18 November 2015

First post!

Back of the Deshler Valley looking across to the Olympus Range

Hi there, welcome to my blog. My friend Peyman was asking me if I did anything like this and the answer was "no", so I guess the answer is now "yes".

I'm currently a post doctoral fellow at the University of Canterbury's Gateway Antarctica research centre. With a PhD in glacial geology, my current research interests are in the realm of geomorphology (the study of landscapes and their processes), paleoclimatology and the use of laser scanning, GIS, SfM photogrammery and UAVs (ie drones) in the mapping of human impacts in polar deserts.  My stomping ground over the last 7 years has been the ice free areas of the Transantarctic Mountains, primarily in the McMurdo Dry Valleys working on a bunch of research projects in a bunch of topics (biocomplexity, glacial history etc)

Ive now "Settled down" to a two year stint on a project called DryVER (Dry Valleys Environmental Resilience) which I am working in the human impact team. On the side I teach into a variety of GIS and remote sensing courses in the Department of Geography here at UC.

Hopefully this will be a dumping ground for python code, ideas and general musing bullshit about my "science" in the Dry Valleys and other polar deserts. Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment